Sunday, May 29, 2011

(4) A Song to Cry For

I'm a daddy's girl. I can't recall a time where I wasn't considered one by my peers or even my family; it's just a fact. My daddy means the world to me, and anyone who's ever heard me speak of him knows why; he's supportive and encouraging and always has time to listen. He shows me and tells me he loves me all the time, even when I feel like the world's crumbling beneath my feet; he's usually the one to put a magic carpet under my feet that lets me float on a little while longer until I can put my feet on solid ground again.

I couldn't imagine my life without my father; sure, he was a military dad and had to go away a lot, but he always made up for it. Not with things or with promises, but with time. There were many a day we would just sit and talk or play video games. Days where he would teach me how to play basketball, throw a football, and make baked potatoes in an oven. To this day I value the time people give me more than the things they do, most likely because my father taught me that when you love someone, that's what you do; you give them time.

Luther Vandross' "Dance with My Father" always makes me cry. It makes me sad to know that one day I won't be anybody's little girl anymore. I try not to think much about it, but the fact is the older I get, the older he gets too even though in my eyes he's still the same age he's always been. Even now thinking about it puts a little lump in my throat.

I feel this strongly about "Dance with My Father" because I know it's something that I'm one day going to wish for; one more moment, one more dance with my Daddy. All I want to do in the world is make him proud and make him think "Wow, that's my kid," and he tells me all the time that he's always thinking that. He tells me all the time, but one day there's not going to be anymore telling me so. One day I'm just going to have to believe that I made him proud, and so, one song that makes me sad whenever I hear it (or think it) is Luther Vandross' "Dance with My Father."

Spreading Love
Dropping knowledge
Getting sappy <3

No comments: